Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Writing Thai with Chinese characters? Consider it done!

When I started learning Thai, I really missed characters to make sense of the language. Many ur-Thai words (not those of Sanskrit, Pali or Khmer descend) do have that East Asian quality of being short, expressing a conceptual meaning, and also being handy to use as morphemes to form word compounds with new meanings. So what I did, I assigned Chinese characters to Thai words with corresponding meanings! I was so proud of myself,  thinking I invented a new way to write Thai! Besides, it really helped me ease in into a new language.

Twenty years later, almost to the day, I discovered that there has been a very similar way to write a Tai language like that: Sawndip script of the Zhuang language.  This fascinates me no end, so I thought I would share this  discovery with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment